This week's pragprog link share is mixed with a couple of important news stories first:
- The famine in East Africa is taking an even direr form, and hundreds of thousands of kids could die. Jill Biden visited there to draw international attention. If you can, please help.
- Goodwin Liu, a brilliant liberal legal scholar at UC Berkeley whose confirmation to the federal bench was blocked by Republicans, is now headed to the nation's most consequential state court: the California Supreme Court. Bravo to Gov. Brown for the nomination.
- Miranda from W.E.E. See You picked up on a comment from the Washington Monthly that is eye-opening about the struggle of black public servants in American politics and how many white progressives miss that mark.
- Smartypants writes about the race towards extremism for the GOP in her coverage of the Republican candidates debate from Thursday night.
- Michael Grunwald of Times magazine blog Swampland performs an outstanding takedown of the whiny Professional Left and gives us a look at what President Obama has done on the environment.
- Huff-n-puff-Post commenters enjoy free rein to advocate violence, points out The Fierce Advocate.
- Chipsticks at The Obama Diary brings you the highlights from Steve Benen's excellent post on why Friday's 11th circuit court ruling on the individual mandate is screwed up.
- Ametia at 3ChicsPolitico comes upon a truism: Michele Bachman really is crazy.
Like what you read? Chip in, keep us going.