DEMS CAVE! (No, not really.)
The budget two-step is over. A two year spending plan passed both Senate and House, and both Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan have promised votes on DACA.
What did Democrats get in this deal besides this promise? From Vox:
- Extend funding for the Children’s Health Insurance Program for 10 years
- Include $80 billion in disaster relief funding
- Put $6 billion in funding toward opioid and mental health treatment
- Put $5.8 billion toward the bipartisan Child Care and Development Block Grant
- Put $4 billion toward the Veterans Administration to rebuild and improve veterans hospitals and clinics
- Put $2 billion toward research at the National Institutes of Health
- Put $20 billion toward infrastructure, including highways, water, wastewater, and rural broadband
- Put $4 billion toward college affordability programs for police officers, teachers, and firefighters
- Include $7 billion in funding and a two-year reauthorization for Community Health Centers
This is not nothing.
Yes, it would have been great if DREAMers had been given safety. But that is a fight which can't be tied to a larger budget deal. Support for DACA fell after the last shutdown. Democrats made their point, and used their leverage to extract commitments from GOP leadership to hold debates on bills to protect DREAMers. A bill will pass with 60 votes in the Senate. Now there needs to be pressure put on Paulie Walnuts Ryan to eject the rule named after a pedophile and bring a clean DACA bill to the floor of the House, with a free vote.
Democrats played their cards beautifully. The spending caps placed to hobble President Obama are gone. Democratic domestic priorities are being funded. And more to the point, this was reached without bothering about caring whether or not Donald Trump liked it. He signed what was put in front of him, and then claimed credit. For him it was a hollow victory. He was a crash test dummy used to sign the bill into law. The work was done by the legislature.
So, enjoy this victory, then press on. Next is ensuring that almost 2 million people who were brought here as kids and have known no other home don't get deported by Trump's Gestapo. The fight won't be over until we kick all of these bastards out of office.
Like what you read? Chip in, keep us going.