So if you haven't already, start calling your senators now. Go to Senate.gov and look up your Senators' contact information. Call them and tell them that they must vote to end any filibuster on the defense authorization bill - one that includes the Don't Ask, Don't Tell repeal (as well as the DREAM Act). But you need to call a few more Senators after that, even if these aren't your senators. Because these senators are key to beating the filibuster.
Key Senators to Call - call at least a couple of them (list from Winning Progressive in comments yesterday):
- Harry Reid (Nevada) Thank Senator Reid for vowing to bring DADT repeal to a vote in December
- Carl Levin (Michigan) – – Senator Levin is the Chair of the Senate Armed Services Committee – make sure to ask that he not agree to remove DADT repeal from the Defense Reauthorization Bill
- Claire McCaskill (Missouri) –
- Olympia Snowe (Maine) –
- Susan Collins (Maine) –
- Scott Brown (Massachusetts) –
- George LeMieux (Florida) –
- George Voinovich (Ohio) –
- Jim Webb (Virginia) –
Sen. Lieberman, who is spearheading the repeal effort in the Senate said yesterday that he has the 60 votes needed to end the filibuster, contingent upon an open debate. An open debate will likely keep the Senate in session beyond the intended adjournment date in early December, which should not be a reason for the Senate not to complete work on this. Let's make sure they stay in as long as is necessary to finish the job.