But now that reform is within grasp, I think it's time to take stock of who on the self-proclaimed progressive side are supporting reform, and who is trying to kill it. There is absolutely no doubt about where liberals and progressives stand on this reform - we are strongly and firmly for it, with 90% support. So what progressive organizations are standing with liberals and helping us pass this bill, and which, if any, is actively standing against us?
Progressive Organizations by and large support health reform (in current form):
- MoveOn.org Political action, the largest progressive online community in this country, is not only supporting reform, they are putting weight behind it by having their members pledge money to fund primary challenges against Democrats who vote against reform.
- NAACP exposes the naked reality that people of color and the economically disadvantaged will bear the worsts costs if health reform fails
- AFL-CIO says after 60 years, it's time to vote 'yes' to health care reform.
- SEIU and Change to Win labor coalition join in a final push for health reform (SEIU statement, Change to Win statement)
- Center for American Progress Action Fund explains why this comprehensive reform is essential to bring costs under control.
- Daily Kos - represented by Founder and Publisher Markos Moulitsas.
- Suddenly the abortion language is a problem. FDL did not oppose the original House bill, which contained even more restrictive abortion language.
- Disingenuously, they want to hold progressive members of Congress to a pledge of voting against any bill without a robust (Medicare-rate based) public option. But once again, that somehow they have completely forgotten the word 'robust' and was not at all mad at House members for voting for the original House bill, which did not include a robust public option (it included a negotiated-rate public option) instead.